Appliances quality control
In order to regulate the manufacturing, storing, sale and distribution of the household Electrical Appliances, the Central Government, in exercise of the powers conferred by Section 3 of the Essential Commodities Act, 1955 (10 of 1955) had made an order called the "Household Electrical Appliances (Quality Control) Order" that can into force on the date its publication in the official Gazette. Under this order:
- No person shall himself or by any person acting on his behalf store for sale, sell or distribute any household electrical appliance which has not been manufactured by a person who has obtained Manufacturer’s Certificate under clause 5 of the Order or an India Standards Institution Certification Mark License after the date appointed in this behalf by the State Government.
- No person shall himself or by any person acting on his behalf manufacture, store for sale, sell or distribute any household electrical appliance which does not conform to the specified standard.
- Every household electrical appliance offered or espoused for sale or sold shall bear conspicuously on the appliance and where it is not possible on the package as the case may be, the name and address of the manufacturer and where none of the above modes is practicable it shall be accompanied by a certificate or label to that effect and also a declaration that the appliance conforms to the specified standard.
- Provided that nothing in this clause shall apply to any household electrical appliance which is intended for export if it conforms to any other standard specified by the foreign buyer in a firm contract for the purchase of such appliance so long as it is in conformity with the provisions of the export (Quality Control and in section) Act, 1963 wherever applicable.
- No person shall himself or by any person acting on his behalf if he is already a manufacturer continue to manufacture any household electrical appliance unless he has obtained a Manufacturer’s Certificate for the said appliance from the Appropriate Authority of the State in which he manufacturer the appliance within a period of three months.
- No person shall hereafter himself or by any person on his behalf manufacture any household electrical appliance unless he has obtained a Manufacturer’s Certificate for the said appliance from the Appropriate Authority of the State in which he proposes to manufacture the appliance.
- The Appropriate Authority may at any time revoke a Manufacturer’s Certificate for any one or more of the appliances for good and sufficient reasons to be recorded in writing.
Under the above said order, the following Officer of the Electricity Department has been declared as the Appropriate Authority to carry out the functions as contemplated in the said order:
The Executive Engineer (MRT)
Appropriate Authority Under the
Household Electrical Appliances (Quality Control) Order,
137, Nethaji Subhash Chandra Bose Salai,
Puducherry - 605 001.
Phone: +91-413-233-6361/65 & +91-222-2270/74 (PBX), +91-413-233-1556 (Fax)
For more details, click on the links below: