TIPS FOR ENERGY CONSERVATION
Your Electricity bills need not be as high as they are. Do follow these simple guidelines for saving electricity. Cut down your bills and help the nation make better use of its resources. You can save up to 20% - 30% of your bill money by following these simple steps:
- Use always the natural air and light; do not switch on lights during the day.
- Promptly switch off the lights and fans and other appliances when the occupants leave the room/hall or when not required.
- Switch off TV, AC, Microwave OVen, Washing Machine, Computers etc., to save standby power.
- Use task lighting, which focuses light where it is needed. A reading lamp, for example, lights only reading material rather than the whole room.
- Use power factor correction capacitors with water pumps.
- A 15-watt compact fluorescent lamp(CFL) produces the same amount of light as a 60-watt incandescent bulb.
- When dust builds up on refrigerator's condenser coils the motor works harder and consumes more electricity. Clean the coils regularly to make sure that air can circulate freely.
- Baterry chargers, such as those for laptops, cell phones and digital cameras draw power whenever they are plugged in. Pull the plug when not required and save energy.
- Slim tube lights give better light and consume less electricity than the filament lamps.
- Avoid opening the refrigerator frequently. Defrost it regularly.
- Dry your clothes in the sun instead of using the dryer in the washing machine.
- Use pressure cookers and avoid using electrical appliances as far as possible.
- The electricity consumption by your geyser can be considerably reduced if the members of your family bathe in quick succession and switch it off as soon as it is no longer required.
- Avoid switching on of heavy duty appliances during peak hours, i.e., 6 a.m. to 9 a.m., and 5 p.m., to 8 p.m.
- Buy BEE labelled energy efficient frost free refrigerator and fluorescent Tubelights.
At Shops and business establishments
- Avoid excessive illumination. Please keep only as many fans and lights on as you need.
- Do not use neon sign boards. Use only painted sign boards.
- Use energy-saving compact fluorescent lamps for the illumination of your shops, showrooms, or hotels.
- Try to switch on your room air conditioners and coolers at least one hour late and switch off one hour early. Preferably, do not use these heavy duty appliances.
- Please close the shops and showrooms precisely by 8 p.m., at night.
- Use solar water heaters for hot water requirements of your hotels and lodges.
In Farms and agricultural pump sets
- Provide shunt capacitors at terminals of your three-phase motor to help reduce current and ensure longer life to your Pumpset.
- Use rigid PVC pipes t get more discharge.
- Avoid sharp bends and too many joints in the suction and delivery lines.
- Use low-resistence foot valves.
- Lubricate pump sets at regular intervals.
- Choose suitable crop mix so that at least one crop in a year is grown with least water consumption.